Snap shot: The 1.20.1 update, early thoughts

I haven't had a chance to see the 1.20.1 update yet other than in videos from content creators and reading about it in articles. Here are a few early thoughts, though...

Crew rework

I'm not entirely sure this change is necessary, and it's probably going to upset a lot of players who have invested a lot of time in fine-tuning their crews but...

So far the skills rework and new skills seem ok to me. I think it's going to widen the gap between good players and bad players because there are more skills and it may be a bit more confusing/intimidating for new players.

I like the fact that all the skills are skills now (i.e. you don't have to train them to 100% to get an benefit at all) but I also think that seal clubbers with 7-skill crews are going to have an even bigger edge over noobs who prioritized "Mentor" and "Firefighting".

It's going to be tough on ultra-competitive players who are in an arms race with other ultra-competitive folks. And tough on noobs who are now even less competitive. For middle-of-the-road players like me, I'm not sure it matters that much.

WOT+

I guess I can't blame Wargaming for looking for new ways to monetize the game. They are a business after all. I like the free demounting of equipment, don't care that much about the double-barrelled US heavy tank, and am a little skeptical of the "Constant offline crew training". 

As of the time of this writing I don't know what it costs yet. If it's a few $ a month I'll probably do it. If it's more than $10 a month I probably won't.

Dynamic map elements

I'm kinda wait-and-see on this one. I like the idea of being able to move some things around to create a hull-down not unlike how LTs and TDs can knock down trees to make more soft cover. I dunno about crashing planes and ships - and it's not totally clear to me if those things will cause damage if you get caught in the area where they occur.

I guess they make the game more interesting, but it will be frustrating if you get wiped out by a plane crash...or if you need to get some more damage for a mission or a mark, but a collapsing bridge or oncoming train steals your damage.

Summary

I'm trying to keep an open mind about it, but the fact that so many of the content creators I respect seem very unhappy about the changes gives me pause.

What do you think of these new changes? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments