AutoLoader: "Do you still play World of Tanks?"

It's been two months since my last post on this blog and somebody asked me the other day "Do you still play World of Tanks?"

Yep, I play pretty much every day. I just haven't had anything interesting to say about it lately. I probably still don't but wanted to answer that question and as long as I'm here...

The Covenanter is...interesting

I stumbled into playing a few games with the Covenanter recently. It's not good, but I suspect it might not be TOO hard to mark for somebody who knows how to scout. With even a little bit of equipment and a not-amazing crew I've got it up to 42% camo and 460 view range...which at Tier 5 is pretty darned good.

The downsides are:
  1. It feels terribly slow for an LT.
  2. The gun is a wacky two-shots at a time, autoloader with low alpha. So you're dependent on spotting to put up significant numbers most of the time.
  3. Since you're dependent on spotting you're dependent on your team, which can be VERY hit or miss. I got a good team the other day and ended up with about 3.5K combined. Next battle my team forgot to bring any ammo and I was lucky to get more than 500.

The VZ. 68 Squall....might not be

Looking at the stats for the new Czech Tier 8 Premium light tank, the VZ. 68 Squall and...well, not that excited.

For one thing the top speed is 53 and power to weight is 25. That doesn't feel very nimble. Even with bounty turbo I suspect it's going to be a little sluggish.

View range and camo don't seem that special either. So as a scout, I suspect it's going to be pretty meh.

Hard to tell from what I've seen so far but looks like it might be bigger than a WZ-132 also. It doesn't have any armor and accuracy/gun depression don't seem very good.

Basically it's just the autocannon mechanic and you'll have to get fairly close to use it effectively. Fairly close in a not-fast, not sneaky, tank with no armor. Hmmm.

Guess we'll see.

New fuel consumables

Scorpiany got me hooked on swapping out fire extinguishers for improved fuel/oil in the tanks that can use it. Gives more HP for a bit more speed and p/w ratio. I catch fire pretty rarely anyhow, but the extra speed pays off every time you press W.

Looks like Wargaming is changing the fuel consumables with the 1.26 patch so that instead of a handful of different ones there will just be two (sort of like large and small repair kits, I gather) and they'll work on all(?) tanks. I like that.

Well, GLHF out there!

Comments